‘Pancake day’, as it is colloquially known holds many a fond memory for Brits the world over. I remember eagerly rushing home from school to make sure I was first in the queue for one of my dad’s legendary pancakes.
Dad fancied himself as somewhat of a trick pancake flipper. Cautiously warning everyone to stand back, he would jerk the frying pan and in one movement was able to flip the floppy pancake over in midair and sometimes catch it in the pan. Sometimes he would miss or it would fold over on itself, but we didn’t mind – none of us could wait to smother our pancakes in a variety of sticky, sweet and occasionally fruity toppings. Nutella, peanut butter, honey, syrup or the classic lemon and sugar.
These days, I tend to be a little more health conscious and prefer to use this recipe for healthy oaty pancakes in place of the traditional ones. They are great for a casual Sunday morning breakfast or as a midweek dessert. Enjoy!
Healthier Oaty Pancakes
Serves: 1 greedy person like me. If you like to share then simply double the recipe.
40g Organic oats
90g Greek style yogurt
1 Banana, mashed (optional)
2 tsp of vanilla extract
2 tsp Honey, or your choice of sugar/sweetener
Your choice of spray oil, such as fry light
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
2. Transfer your mixture into a blender and blitz until smooth. If you feel that your mixture is too thick, loosen it off with a splash of milk.
3. Heat a frying pan to a medium high heat. Add a couple of sprays of your oil.
4. Spoon in your mixture and cook for 2 of minutes on each side or until your pancakes are golden brown.
5. Serve with your choice of toppings, my favourite is berries and banana with coconut yogurt and honey!
Note: I find cooking sprays or spray oils to be most effective when making pancakes as you can evenly distribute it in the pan and you are also in control of how much you use. You can still use a normal liquid oil if you prefer.
Don’t forget to use #apinchofwild on Instagram to share your foodie photos!